Re: [Omaha.pm] Gedcom.pm - searching for a path from person A to person X?

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 12:52:27PM -0600, Jay Hannah wrote:
First, my apologies for a delayed reply.

Not at all. You should some of the 2003 stuff in my Inbox. -grin-

I've got a little over 4000 people in my GEDCOM

  http://jays.net/genealogy/

That's pretty impressive.  I wish I had that much information, but I
spend too much time hacking  Gedcom.pm and too little time actually
researching.

The trick there is to have cousins that already have 3950 people in their GEDCOMs. Merge 'em, and you're done! So easy! -grin-

Im not sure whether anyone has written such a thing directly in Perl,
but I do know of a lifelines script called "relation" that does (mostly)
what you are after.  This script can be translated into Perl using
lines2perl which is a part of the Gedcom.pm release.

This LineLines?

  http://lifelines.sourceforge.net/

So LineLines is written in C, and comes with its own scripting language. And lines2perl converts samples of that scripting language to pure Perl (so I don't need anything other than Perl)? Did I get that right?

I've reproduced the script below.  (It required a small change to
lines2perl.)  You can run this directly, or use it to learn from.  The
original script is after __END__.  The Perl is not wonderful, but I
don't think it's too bad for an automatic translation.

Wow. That's awesome. Haven't played with the code yet, but I'll give it a stab.

As an aside, lifelines has some really nice reports.  For the most part,
lines2perl will translate them into Perl for you.  (There might be
problems with some of the newer ones if they use new features I haven't
implemented yet.)  See http://lifelines.sourceforge.net/ and
ftp://ftp.cac.psu.edu/pub/genealogy/lines/reports/

Let me know if you run into any problems.

Ahh... There's "relation" on the FTP site. I get it...

If not, do you have any thoughts about how I might right it? Any interest in this being a plugin to Gedcom.pm? Gedcom::Search or something?

If you'd like to write some general method for this I'd be very happy to
include it, either within the distribution or by providing some sort of
plugin support.  If you do this, you might like to subscribe to the
mailing list (details in the README) to keep us informed.

I've joined perl-gedcom@perl.org. I would have bugged them first, but I didn't see that in "perldoc Gedcom" or on your website.

Thanks for your help! I'll see what I can do w/ your magical "relation" translation. :)