Re: [Omaha.pm] IIS server log analysis

On Mar 22, 2005, at 10:25 PM, Tegels, Kent wrote:
http://sqljunkies.com/WebLog/ktegels/archive/2003/12/05/580.aspx

Why do you suppose your VB.NET code benchmarks faster than the Perl?

Compiled vs. Interpreted.

I thought as a general rule the only inherent efficiency loss was @ compile time (perl script "startup")? So, once you've lost 1/2 second or whatever for perl to get going, you were on an even keel (generally) w/ compiled codebase? Yes/no?

Of course there's always going to be differences in operation speeds (disk read, mem alloc, etc., etc.) for each language/OS combination, but that's true whether you're talking about 2 compiled languages competing; or a compiled vs. Perl? Yes/no?

I would expect that any MS language would be more efficiently optimized for Windows O/S than any open source language, compiled or interpreted, could ever hope to be since MS hordes the source (low level APIs/hacks while talking to the filesystem manager, etc)?

Obviously I'm no low-level language dude. Perl made me far too lazy early in my career for me to want to understand machine code. -grin-