[Omaha.pm] Tues. Nov. 5 meeting: OpenStack

Hey all, Dutch Edwards has graciously given up his slot at the Nov. 5 meeting so I can talk about OpenStack.

I wanted to get the talk in before Hack Omaha 2013 at the end of November.  HP Cloud is a Hack Omaha sponsor, and they are offering free hosting on HP's OpenStack implementation for Hack Omaha projects.  (For more on "Hack Omaha 3: With a Vengeance" see http://hackomaha.eventbrite.com/ )

OpenStack (http://openstack.org) is a collection of free and open source software to provide a cloud infrastructure.  It is a standards-based alternative to proprietary vendor cloud offerings, such as Amazon's Web Services, and is supported by vendors such as Rackspace and HP.

I'll introduce the OpenStack technology, compare with other cloud services, and do a sample deploy workshop with HP's stack.  Then we can address questions and drill down to specifics.

HP is chipping in for drinks and snacks.  I'll bring the Zipline Copper Alt.  Other requests?

Any certain Perl app people would like to see deployed?  (Bugzilla perhaps?)

--
Dave Burchell
@evaddnomaid