Re: [Omaha.pm] Pulling in a hash via "exec"...FAIL

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Jay Hannah <jay@jays.net> wrote:
Have you tried this instead?
sub retrieve_fields {
       my ( $file )=@_;
       my $fields;
       open(FILE, $file)
       {
               local $/;
               eval <FILE>;
       }
       return $fields;
}

I thought of that but I couldn't find an comments regarding the differences caused by changing the hash (%fields) to a straight variable ($fields).  I know Perl doesn't do strict casting of variables, but this still looked odd to me.

I'll give it a shot and see - the main program  the retrieve_fields() subroutine resides in is used by a number of other collection routines and I don't want to break things too badly when adding my new section.  (Sadly we don't have a test harness setup _yet_ so I don't have a baseline to work from...)

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who can watch the watchmen?) -- from the Satires of Juvenal
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov (Author)