Re: [Omaha.pm] ChemChains, DLUG, ..etc.

On Jun 4, 2008, at 8:07 AM, Lawless, Jim wrote:
Hey, Jay. I wish I'd have paid more attention ... I would've chatted you up while we were waiting for the classroom to open last night. ( I was about the only other one there ... black shirt and jeans ... while Blaine and his crew talked . )

Nice to meet you. Sorry we didn't chat.   :)
I was briefly a loyal Omaha Perl Monger ... I'd had that Obfuscated Perl contest 2nd place winner ... which, BTW, is now in the O'Reilly book Games, Diversions, and Perl Culture ... I'm immortally indexed on page 498 ( http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ tpj3/inx.html ). Maybe I'll get to chat with you a the next meeting.

Ahh, cool. You're listed in our history:

http://jays.net/wiki/Omaha_Perl_Mongers#2003_and_earlier

I have a copy of that book at the med center. I'll have to look up that page. :)
Thanks for your presentation of the ChemChains effort and your modeling program in Perl. I'm tempted to try a stab at it myself, but I'm not sure that I undertstand the problem correctly. ( For some reason, I'm thinking that I would implement the nodes as function-defintions that I would eval() into the running interpreter for Perl or Ruby or something and would then just call these functions ... but that seems too simple.)

Well, I'm not sure I understand the problem either, so you're in "good company." Of course I understand my implementation of my solution according to the way I understand the problem pretty well. - laugh- I'm hoping ideas and questions like yours and the C++ version and others will help me understand the problems better and evolve the software and my ability to wield my computer skills in the advancement of medical research... It's a long journey with many winding side roads. :)

I avoid eval() whenever possible, so I wouldn't use that in one of my solutions. Have you looked at the code yet? Do you have specific questions? Or would a longer meeting be good?

We could organize a Perl Mongers / Dynamic Languages Users Group ChemChains meeting/hackathon or something and invite whoever wanted to show up. :)

http://jays.net/wiki/ChemChains_sandbox

Cheers,