Re: [Omaha.pm] [olug] [OT]: Learning Perl Resources

Ooo... Dave is out pimping the Perl.   :)

Dave Thacker wrote:
On Sunday 29 July 2007 22:25, Stan Coleman wrote:
I'm looking at learning a new program language this fall. Which is better
Pearl or Phython or ????

Try them both and see which one you like. I've spent more time with perl than python, so I'm familiar with it's resources.
What resourse (books website etc.) would you recomend if I wanted to teach
myself? Or would you recomend me taking a class from some where?

For perl I recommend:
Books
Learning Perl, published by O'Reilly

Websites
http://learn.perl.org/
http://www.perlmonks.org

Mailing Lists
The perl beginners mailing list: http://lists.cpan.org/showlist.cgi?name=beginners

Local Groups
Omaha Perl Mongers: http://omaha.pm.org/

I'm sure there similar resources for python. As far as books vs classes, it depends on you and the way you learn best. If you are self teaching, I recommend picking a problem that you want to solve and use your language of choice to solve it. Have fun!

Dave