Re: [Omaha.pm] Active bandwidth monitoring

On Jul 16, 2007, at 10:58 PM, Daniel Linder wrote:
I'm trying to pro-actively monitor the "real world" speed that I'm getting
with my @Work connection.
Questions:
1: Has anyone run across a tool like this that is free and will run on Linux?

I haven't heard of such a thing. I would think that monitoring your bandwidth by frequently flooding your network with downloads
wouldn't be a terribly popular tool.  :)

That said, you can stick any numbers you want into RRDTool and it will keep your historical trends and generate all your graphs for you. I have written some Perl wrappers to throw miscellaneous statistics into RRDTool every 5 minutes (via cron), and it does all the hard work for me.

2: If I stared to write something like this, has anyone got some Perl code
to grab random URLs from a search engine?

Umm... I guess you could use WWW::Mechanize to feed a random word from your local dictionary to Google and hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button. But that's not really trending *your* bandwidth because the random server on the other end could have bandwidth problems of its own and you'd have no way of seeing the difference between your bandwidth and theirs.

It seems to me to trend your bandwidth you'd have to hit a known big pipe every time, and just assume that your chosen victim always has "unlimited" bandwidth and never has server or congestion trouble of any kind.

Intentionally and systematically wasting bandwidth seems a strange first step towards getting more bandwidth, which is, I assume, your ultimate goal. :)