From: "Glenn Proctor" <glenn@ebi.ac.uk>
Date: September 29, 2006 2:02:36 AM CDT
To: ensembl-dev@ebi.ac.uk
Subject: [ensembl-dev] The future of EnsJ

Dear Ensembl Developers

Some of you may recall that I announced that we are scaling down our
ability to continue to develop and support the Ensj, the Java API to Ensembl.

While several people kindly volunteered to help maintain parts of Ensj, no-one was able to commit to the kind of effort that would maintain it as
a viable long-term solution.

So it is with a great deal of regret that I have to announce that Ensj will no longer be publically available as of the December release of Ensembl,
release 42.

We will do our best to support it until then, however internally we need to focus our efforts on the Perl API and tools, so any Ensj-support will be
provided on a best-efforts basis only.

We have taken the decision to withdraw Ensj completely rather than keeping it in hibernation as the latter option would quickly result in increasing incompatibilities between Ensj and future changes to the Ensembl schema,
which would cause headaches for everyone involved.

We are doing this with great regret. It has not been an easy decision to make.

I would like to extend my thanks to Craig Melsopp, the lead developer of Ensj, as well as to all of you who have used, supported and contributed to
it over the last few years.

The Ensembl Perl API will be unaffected by these changes, and we have
a complete commitment to its maintenance as this is the main access
route in-house. I would encourage those of you who are still using Ensj to consider switching to the Perl API - you will find that much of the Perl API
structure is similar to what you're used to with Ensj.

Information, documentation, and a tutorial on the Perl API can be found at

http://www.ensembl.org/info/software/core/index.html

Regards

Glenn Proctor
Core team leader