Re: [Omaha.pm] [pm_groups] Private vs. public

JT Smith wrote:
I think that public archives are the only way to go. I can't tell you how many great nuggets of information I've gleaned by searching the archives of public perl monger's lists. I suppose if your list is purely social I could see not publishing the archives, but if it contains technical discussions then you're stealing knowledge from the world by keeping them private.

Agreed. Preach it, brother!

(Perhaps "denying knowledge from the world", not "stealing from the world". -grin-)

One other thing to note is that many people feel that the Perl world is dying. And I think that a large part of that is because they don't see enough discussion of Perl out there.

In 1999 I brought Perl to the company I still work for. I was told it was a dead language. Funny how that FUD never changes.
In 2006 we're using Perl more than ever, continuing to discard proprietary language programs. It works for us. I just got back from OSCON in Portland. I'm pleased to report Perl looks healthier than ever to me. :)

We need to be less private, not more.

"Amen" he said, posting to pm_groups which has no public archive (ironic, eh?); but also cross-posting to the Omaha Perl Mongers whose archive is public. :)

Omaha.pm
currently on another 2 night bender replacing old code w/ a far superior Perl replacement :)