Re: [Omaha.pm] Lightning Talks from UNO on Perl! :)

On Nov 23, 2005, at 1:32 PM, Robert wrote:
Perl Operator Overloading in Action: Class::Date
1st minute: What is operator overloading?
2nd minute: What is Class::Date?
3rd-5th minutes: magic ensues

   This sounds cool.  We didn't get a chance to talk about OO-Perl
this semester, but one of the pre-requisites of the course is two
semesters of C++, so it shouldn't be too frightening to them.

Does that mean I should plan on doing that talk on Dec 6? I'll bring my own laptop slideshow (prob. HTML).

What would _really_ be great, if not for a lightning talk this
semester then maybe for something next semester, would be if some of
the area's corporate Perl-heads could come convince my students that
Perl is still an okay language to learn.  :)  They're all convinced
that PHP, Python and Ruby are the only ways to go.  I admit, they're
cool ways to go (my websites are all written in PHP), but the class is
about Perl, dangit! :)

I'd be willing to attempt that whenever. I'm not opposed to other languages, I just happen to like Perl. I can give a behind-the-scenes demo of www.omnihotels.com if you like (Perl, Template Toolkit, Apache, Linux).

If you're sharp languages are just syntax. If you know one really well you'll be fine in the others.