Re: [Omaha.pm] [pm_groups] What do you do with free books?

On Sep 9, 2005, at 3:14 PM, Linda L. Julien wrote:
However, I'm curious about what other groups do with these books when
they receive them.

Do you keep them in a group library?  If so, how do you arrange access
for the members, and/or ensure that the books come back when people
borrow them?

We have 12 books. (Thanks O'Reilly! Yay!) They're all heavily labeled the property of Omaha Perl Mongers. We keep them at the store where our meetings are held. They're tracked in an online database (w/ a PHP interface! gasp! -grin-) where people, theoretically, check them out and then eventually return them:

http://library.reboottheuser.com/login.php

I have a couple books checked out personally, they're at my work. If anyone wanted them I'd be happy to bring them to meetings and hand them over.

How effective to you think your strategy is?  Does it encourage group
membership?  Group participation?  Etc.

No one seems to care. No one except me has ever checked out a book, or expressed any interest in borrowing them. A couple of years ago, before the tracking database, random people took 3 or 4 books home. I didn't track it. I think 2 or 3 of them came back eventually. It's a good idea to always keep some sort of list/record, regardless of how informal, otherwise everyone involved will likely completely forget and the book will go unused forever on some shelf somewhere.

No one has ever taken the time to write a review. Personally, that's not my thing and apparently it isn't popular among other Omaha Perl geeks either. -grin- So far O'Reilly doesn't seem to care. I post their banner ad, they send a book. I've never taken them up on any review offers since I'm not interested in writing one.

No book requests have come from other members of our group, so I've ordered the books I want/use/read.

Cheers,

Omaha.pm
a sleepy little group