[Omaha.pm] Re: [olug] perl cpan problem

On Sep 22, 2004, at 1:11 PM, <thelarsons3@cox.net> wrote:
Maybe there are some Perl gurus lurking...

Omaha Perl Mongers: http://omaha.pm.org

If this is purely a Perl thread, we should probably take it over to that mailing list instead of OLUG.

I was trying to install XML and RSS modules from CPAN. This didn't work correctly, but the procedure suggested upgrading CPAN and installing the libnet bundle. OK, fine. When these didn't work either because of an "out of memory" error, I started looking closer by running top.

What were you running when you got the error?

perl -MCPAN -e ... ?

Or some package manager? Or installing from source?

While the process is running, it slowly uses more and more RAM until all physical memory (80 MB) on the system is exhausted, then it dies. I have 192 MB of swap that is barely touched - about 8 MB in use when Perl starts, still the same when it dies.

While what process is running? Can you give us the exact command(s) you're having problems with?

Using Perl 5.6.1.  Any ideas or random thoughts?

Random thoughts:
Computers suck. But not as much as telco. "I'd rather be sleeping."