WILL: Abstract by Colket. Beloved wife Darcus to live in the mansion house (if) she cannot have enjoyment there, there must be built a home for her comfortable accommodations. She to have an equal part in the stock to be divided between herself and her three daughters. Household furniture to be distributed in same manner except bedding of which Catherine is to have no share, and furnishing our Son John with one commendable bed with furniture. Land to be equally divided between our two sones James and John, the latter to have the manor house; also Farming equipment equally divided. Debt from Scott if collected to be equally divided among legatees above mentioned, James being paid for labor on house. My son Alexander, and daughters Mary Hankins, Jane Wasson and Martha Ragsdale, Ten shillings each. Bland W. Ballard and Alexander Wasson, Executors. 18 Mar 1815 Alexander McDowel. Acknowledged Isaac Collet, Walter White, Jas Logan, proved March court 1817.
Alexander, born abt. 1735, died 20 Feb. 1817 Shelby Co, Ky, buried in the McDowell Cemetery near Simpsonville, Shelby Co, Ky. (I believe he was in Jefferson Co 7/17/1789 tax, and in Shelby Co by 8/7/1800). His will was written 18 March 1815 and probated March 1817 (Will Book 3, page 542 Shelby Co). His wife Darcas, born abt 1745, died 7 May 1833 and is buried in the McDowell Cemetery also. Their nine children were:
1. Jane, born abt 1773 Va, married 14 oct 1797 Shelby Co, Ky, Alexander Waison/Warson
2. Mary, married 17 Dec 1798 Shelby Co, Ky, Clairborn Hawkins
3. Alexander JR, married 11 May 1804 Shelby Co, Ky, Crotia Millis
4. Martha, married 11 Nov 1805 Shelby Co, Ky, Richard Ragsdale
5. James (may be the James who married 26 June 1823 Shelby Co, Mary Bailee)
9. John, born abt 1788, died 26 Aug 1872, buried in the McDowell Cemetery, married Martha ______, born 26 Feb 1796, died 1 Aug 1851.
Alexander, his wife Dorcas, son John, and daughter-in-law Martha are the only four McDowells buried in the cemetery.
This is all the information I have on this family. I hope it helps. If you ever find a connect with Alexander and our Charles, I would appreciate hearing from you.
Betty Ann Bowles
Created by Dan Pidcock's GedcomToHTML v1.5.2.
Data compiled, maintained, and hosted by Jay Hannah <jay(at)jays(dot)net>. http://jays.net/genealogy/